Monday, March 31, 2014

Teeth Cupcakes

I did do something fun on Saturday. Well at least what I would consider to be fun. My mother in law, Barb Brown, said I had crossed the line into mentally disturbed. I am not going to argue with her, she is probably right. I made teeth out of cup cakes!! 

First bake up cupcakes, I just used Duncan Heinz classic yellow.

With another box of cake mix make two rounds. You will crumble the two cakes and mix them with butter cream frosting. I cheated and used store bought. Don't tell my mother.

This is the cake crumb mixture. You will use this to mold the tooth shape on the top of the cupcake.

I made a blank on the cupcake and then used a wet dowel to shape the crumble mixture.

Here are the three steps. (1) cupcake. (2) frost cupcake to help mixture stick to cupcake. (3) make blank and mold with wet dowel. *Keeping the dowel damp keeps the crumble mixture from sticking to it while molding.

Cover with marshmallow fondant. I will post the recipe to this below. I used the dowel to push the fondant down into the crevasses of the tooth. 

Marshmallow Fondant
16 oz. of marshmallows
4 Tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon Vanilla
4 Tablespoons water
2 lbs. powdered sugar
Place butter in a shallow dish and set aside.
Place marshmallows in microwave safe bowl. Pulse in microwave in 1 minute increments until melted. Be careful marshmallows do not boil over in microwave.
Carefully stir in water and vanilla.
Slowly beat in powdered sugar. Reserve one cup of powdered sugar for kneading.
Rub hands thoroughly with butter before kneading the fondant.
Knead fondant until it is smooth and no longer sticky.
Form into a ball and wrap tightly. *It is important that no air gets to the fondant as that will cause it to harden and make it un-workable.
Be sure working surface is coated in powdered sugar to prevent fondant from sticking.


No comments:

Post a Comment