Tuesday, August 7, 2012

And now for a real mystery

While Ben and I were shopping at our favorite thrift store I spotted a few books from the Trixie Belden Series. This brought back memories of sharing a bedroom with Regina, she was an avid Trixie Belden reader and had quite a few of her books.
 Then I thought back to my favorite female sleuth, Nancy Drew. I had quite a few of her books when I was young and still have them on my bookshelf in my room. I want to finish out my collection of the original series.
Anyways, back to the matter at hand...
I texted my sister and told her of my find. Yes, it is so much easier to text than to call. We then had a short debate on the merits of Nancy Drew vs Trixie Belden and who is the better female sleuth.

Nancy Drew:
Awesome convertible
Blonde hair
Spiffy pants suits
Housekeeper
Amazing Boyfriend.

Trixie Belden:
to quote my sister..
"Trixie had a red head boyfriend and work jeans and t-shirts. Clearly the superior sleuth.

Here is what I have against Trixie. First off the name alone. Trixie. Obviously her parents did not love her enough to give her a real name. Instead they named her after their Cocker Spaniel. Secondly, you cannot get taken seriously as a sleuth dressing as a slob, just look at Columbo. No one ever took him seriously. And last of all no one messes with Nancy. Don't let the pantsuits fool you. She is one tough chick.

So I ask you, dear reader, who is the best sleuth?

1 comment:

  1. Jen, rarely do I disagree with you but Regina has this one right. Trixie Belden all the way. And yes, I read both as a kid. =) Love you!

    ReplyDelete